My clients are frequently involved in disputes and investigations with both civil and criminal elements. I aim to provide practical and commercial advice and to ensure that clients can make informed choices based on a thorough analysis of the evidence and understanding of their position. I appreciate that the attention of a government agency can cause considerable anxiety and I endeavour to respond to enquiries promptly and keep clients informed of any developments.
Areas Of Expertise
My practice is split between Regulatory Law, Insolvency, Criminal Law and Commercial Dispute Resolution.
- Disputes with HMRC concerning demands for payment of tax and penalties, including arranging appeals to the First Tier Tribunal (Tax Chamber).
- Investigations and interviews under caution with HMRC, Local Authorities, Official Receiver, Trading Standards, Maritime and Coastguard Agency, Border Force, Serious Fraud Office and Police.
- Advocacy and defending prosecutions brought by the CPS, Insolvency Service and Local Authorities.
- Noise abatement notices, food hygiene.
- Planning Enforcement.
- Fraud and Financial Crime.
- Disputes with Border Force concerning seized goods including making restoration requests and issuing condemnation proceedings.
- Health and Safety.
- Advice to directors of companies in financial difficulties.
- Personal Guarantees.
- Individual and Company Voluntary Arrangements.
- Disqualification proceedings pursuant to the Company Directors Disqualification Act.
- Applications to Court pursuant to the Insolvency Act 1986 including for re-use of a company name.
- Advising insolvency practitioners on the validity of appointment, technical issues and recovery of assets for the benefit of the insolvency estate..
- Insolvency claims against companies and directors including preference, misfeasance, transactions at an undervalue, illegal dividends, wrongful and fraudulent trading and avoidance of floating charges.
- Winding up and bankruptcy petitions.
- Statutory demands.
- Advice regarding inclusion on the Individual Insolvency Register.
- Advice to creditors of companies facing insolvency proceedings.
- Fraud and Financial Crime.
- Investigations and Proceedings.
- General crime including all types of offences.
- Drink and drug driving.
- Motoring offences.
- Contract and debt recovery disputes.
- Professional Negligence.
- Banking and Finance Litigation including mis-selling claims.
Recent Work Includes
- Representing a nightclub in a successful appeal against a noise abatement notice and securing a substantial costs order against the Local Authority at the Crown Court which was upheld in Judicial Review proceedings in the Administrative Court.
- Obtaining the release of a cargo of wine and transport following a successful restoration request to Border Force on behalf of a wine importer.
- Securing the dismissal of a winding up petition against a sole trader in respect of a creditor’s petition for a substantial debt owed to HMRC.
- Advising a landlord of a large residential property portfolio in financial difficulties regarding LPA receiverships and an Individual Voluntary Arrangement.
- Representing a company and its director on a second prosecution for trading whilst subject to an unpaid HMRC security requirement and obtaining a favourable outcome.
- Advising the directors of a restaurant chain in interviews under caution in respect of alleged VAT offences which resulted in no further action being taken.
Experience, Professional Associations & Qualifications
- Qualified as a solicitor in October 1990
- LLB (Hons) Law Degree from University of Leicester
- LLM in Commercial Law from University of Bristol
- Solicitors Final Examination from College of Law Chester
- Joint Insolvency Examination Board
- Law Society Criminal Accreditation Scheme
- Fee Paid Judge of the First Tier Tribunal (SEC)
- Association of Business Recovery Professionals (R3) and R3 Southern Region Committee
- Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers
- Law Society