Partner & Solicitor
Wills, Trusts & Probate
I aim to provide a professional service in straightforward and friendly manner. I enjoy the personal element associated with my area of law, working closely with clients, their other professional advisers, often over multi-generations.
Areas of Expertise
- Administration of Estates / Probate
- Lasting Powers of Attorney (LPAs)
- High Net Worth Estate / Tax Planning
- Deeds of Variation
- Declarations of Trust
- Business LPA
Recent Work Includes
- Successfully claiming the Residence Nil Rate Band and Business Property Relief to substantially reduce inheritance tax.
- Drafting tax efficient wills for clients, utilising specific reliefs and exemptions.
- Dealing with a multi-million pound estate, with assets in Switzerland and Italy
Professional Associations & Qualifications
- Qualified as a solicitor in August 2004
- Full member of STEP
- Became Partner of the firm in August 2021
- Studied Law at The University of Exeter
- Member of the Private Client Section of The Law Society
- Trustee of Age Concern Christchurch
- Recommended for Wills by the Legal 500 (UK)
“We instructed Richard Smith of the Canford Cliffs Office to prepare new Wills for us and advise on IHT mitigation potentials. The advice we received was explained with clarity and detailed precision. We are grateful for the care and attention to detail given. The fees charged were reasonable given the complex area of law involved.”
“My wife and I recently updated our wills and we were advised by Richard Smith ,we both found his friendly professional approach to what can be a difficult subject very reassuring. He explained in detail how any changes in the law have affected our wills and how to best resolve any problems. In short we would not hesitate to recommend Richard and Ellis Jones.”