Money Laundering Regulation


Ellis Jones is obliged by legislation to check the identity of our clients and indeed it is a criminal offence for us not to do so. It is a condition of accepting new instructions that clients provide Ellis Jones with evidence to verify their identity and the source of their funds. If insufficient evidence is provided to verify their identity and the source of their funds Ellis Jones may have no alternative but to refuse to act on their behalf.

We therefore, HAVE to obtain details of a potential client’s date(s) of birth, National Insurance Number(s) and 2 items of identification, before we can accept instructions. A potential client must ensure that they CAN provide this in accordance with the list below, as Ellis Jones cannot act for a client until this has been received. Ellis Jones requires one item from List A and one different item from List B below. These items will be photocopied and the originals returned.

If it is not possible to bring the items from List A or List B, in person, to any of our offices, then certified photocopies can be provided. The photocopies must be certified by either an Accountant, Doctor, High Street Bank Manager or another solicitor. Their contact details must be clearly shown on the documents.

In addition to the above, Ellis Jones reserves the right to undertake an electronic verification of the identity documents and information provided with an Anti Money Laundering electronic service provider. This type of check leaves only a “soft” footprint in respect of your credit rating history.

LIST A – proof of identity

  • Current signed passport
  • Current UK photo-card driving licence
  • Photographic registration card for people self employed in the construction industry (C1S4)
  • Firearms or shotgun certificate
  • National Identity card containing photograph

LIST B – proof of address

  • Confirmation from the Electoral Register that you live at your given address
  • Recent utility bill or statement less than three months old (not mobile phone)
  • Local Council Tax bill for the current year but less than three months old.
  • Current UK photo-card driving licence (if not used for List A)
  • Bank, Building Society or Credit Union statement or passbook containing current address. Recent mortgage statement from a recognised lender
  • Solicitor’s letter confirming recent house purchase or Land Registry confirmation of address
  • Council rent book showing rent paid for the last three months
  • Housing Association rent card or tenancy agreement
  • Benefit book
  • Recent Inland Revenue Self Assessment statement or tax demand
  • House or motor insurance certificate