Partner, Solicitor & Head of Employment/HR Services
Employment Law Advice
To be approachable and straight forward in providing clients with practical and workable solutions to employment issues.
Areas of Expertise
- Employment tribunal claims;
- Negotiating termination deals;
- Preparing/reviewing/amending all employment documents: for example, contract of employment, staff handbook, directors’ service agreements and consultancy agreements;
- Advising on employment status: for example, are the courts likely to find that your employees are employed, worker status or self employed?
- Data Protection;
- All aspects of the employment relationship to include: disciplinary (misconduct/gross misconduct) procedures, poor performance (capability), sickness absence, grievances, redundancy/ reorganisation/ restructures;
- How to change terms and conditions of employment;
- Restrictions after the end of employment;
- Employment considerations in relation to commercial deals – Transfer of Undertakings (TUPE);
- HR consultancy service: acting as your HR department, HR training on a range of topics tailored for your business.
- Preparing and negotiating settlement agreements
- Advising employees on the terms of settlement agreements
Recent Work Includes
- Representing a charity in defending a constructive dismissal, whistle blowing and discrimination claim in the employment tribunal;
- Negotiating and advising senior employees in relation to exit packages and settlement agreements;
- Preparing employment contracts for senior employees, directors and junior employees. Clauses in the contracts include confidentiality, data protection, intellectual property and restrictions on termination of employment;
- Preparing a detailed staff handbook to include all relevant employee policies.
- Preparing and advising settlement agreements for employers
Experience, Professional Associations and Qualifications
- Qualified as a solicitor in September 2011
- Became Partner of the firm in 2018
- The Times Top 200 Law Firms (2020) – Kate Brooks, head of employment and HR services, recently represented a charity defending a constructive dismissal, whistleblowing and discrimination claim in the Employment Tribunal.
- Recommended Lawyer by The Legal 500 (UK 2022) for Employment Law – described as “absolutely fantastic at providing support both for businesses requiring support and guidance whilst being realistic how the true business world works and also, helping personal clients”.
- Recommended Lawyer by The Legal 500 (UK 2020) for Employment
- Recommended Lawyer by The Legal 500 (UK 2020) for Business Services
- Recommended Lawyer by The Legal 500 (UK 2019) for Employment for being ‘confident and clear in her advice, summarises the case, weighs up the options fairly and then advises on the correct approach’.
- Recommended Lawyer by The Legal 500 (UK 2017)
- Recommended Lawyer by The Legal 500 (UK 2016) for Employment – commended by clients who would have “no hesitation recommending” her.
- Recommended Lawyer by The Legal 500 (UK 2015) for Employment and given specific credit for “considered and appropriate advice”.
- Member of the Employment Lawyers Association.
- Completion of Legal Practice Course at the College of Law Guildford.
- LLB (Hons) Law Degree from University of Bournemouth.
I would like to thank Kate and Hannah for their great assistance, insight and communication during these last few months and for helping to bring this all to a satisfactory conclusion, in timely manner. A great job and I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending them to others in the future.Anonymous
I want to personally recommend Kate Brooks and commend her level of professionalism and expertise in employment law. Her response was faultless and her recommendations worked perfectly to achieve the outcome we were looking for. It also helps that she is incredibly easy to talk to.Mr Wale