Partner, Solicitor and Head of Personal Injury & Sports Law
Personal Injury Claims
I help injured people recover from their injuries by pursuing their claims and using my network of local and national rehabilitation providers. Your claim will be dealt with in a prompt & efficient manner. I am always available to speak to my client’s and will guide them through the process. I will ensure that you receive the best possible treatment to help you recover, obtain interim payments when appropriate and assist you along the way. I deal with the majority of claims on a No Win, No Fee basis and offer a free discussion to see if I can help you.
Areas of Expertise
I have been dealing with accident claims for over 20 years and have recovered millions of pounds for injured clients.
I am a keen road cyclist and mountain biker & therefore specialise in cycling accidents. We have links with one of the largest cycle stores in the country and will ensure that we get your bike replaced or repaired as quickly as possible at no cost to you. I will help you get back on the road.
- Cycling claims
- Road Traffic Accidents – drivers, passengers, pedestrians
- Airbag injuries
- Trip & Slips
- Accidents at work
- Airbag injuries
- Hearing loss & Tinnitus claims
I have always had a passion for sport and after suffering a serious leg fracture playing football at the age of 35, took up running and triathlon. I now mainly cycle (road and MTB) and swim.
I have recently completed a Post Graduate Certificate in Sports Law at De Montfort University, Leicester. I sit as an Independent Disciplinary Panel Member for Dorset Football Association and am also a Games Programme Monitor for the English Football League (EFL).
I am a member of the British Association of Sport and the Law (BASL).
My 2 daughters swim competitively for Christchurch Seagulls Swimming Club and since 2016, I have been the club Chairman. I oversee the correct and smooth running of all aspects of the club in accordance with its rules, constitution, Swim England rules and laws.
Whilst setting up the Sports Law Department at Ellis Jones, it quickly became apparent that we as a firm already act for a number of clients in relation to sporting matters. Our strength is that the specialised departments across the firm enables us to advise on all sporting issues and we can now build on that and offer an even more specialized service to those clients.
My particular focus is on disciplinary disputes for individual athletes, teams, organisations and Governing Bodies in any sport. I will also continue to represent injured clients and expand further my expertise in sporting injury claims.
Recent Work Includes
- Airbag injury in car accident causing hearing loss & tinnitus
- Cyclists hit on roundabouts and in cycle lanes
- Cyclist hit by car – fractured neck, injuries to shoulder & knee requiring surgery for which I obtained interim payments from the insurers & the client was able to have the operations privately which has speeded up his recovery
- Taxi passenger claims
- Pedestrian hit by a car on the pavement sustaining brain injury
- Pedestrian hit by a car resulting in an amputation to her leg – Huge amount of rehabilitation arranged together with aids, equipment including the cost of a private Prosthesis
- Slipping accident at work – serious shoulder injury requiring a change in career
- Fireman sustained hearing loss & tinnitus as a result of defective work equipment – hearing aids & tinnitus aids obtained and paid for by the defendant
- Slipping accident in a supermarket resulting in fractured wrist. Private surgery & physiotherapy treatment paid for by the defendant
- Currently acting for 7 separate cyclists all injured in the same way on a defective kerb marking the cycle lane – variety of injuries – fractured hip resulting in full hip replacement, fractured wrist & elbow requiring operations & fractured ribs
Experience, Professional Associations and Qualifications
- Qualified as a solicitor in November 1997
- Became Partner of the firm in 2012
- The Law Society’s Personal Injury Accreditation Scheme Member
- Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL)
- Member of the Motor Accident Solicitors Society (MASS)
David McWilliam has been tenacious and highly professional throughout the negotiations. Without his advice and professionalism this case would not have succeeded.Mr Chalcraft
David dealt with my case from start to finish and was extremely professional throughout. Ellis Jones will be my first choice if ever I need legal help in the future.Mr Searies