Parental Responsibility Orders & Agreements

Mothers have parental responsibility automatically, but the position is different for fathers. Fathers only have parental responsibility if they were married to the child’s mother at the time the child was born, or if they are named on the birth certificate and the child is born after 1st December 2003.

Fathers do not have automatic parental responsibility if their child was born before 1st December 2003 and they were not married to the mother at the time.

If you do not have parental responsibility, then you can sign an parental responsibility agreement with the mother of your child to remedy this.

Parental Responsibility is defined in The Children Act 1989 as “the rights, duties, powers, responsibilities and authority which by law a parent of a child has in relation to a child and his property”.

If the mother will not agree to sign a parental responsibility agreement, then you will need to make an application for a parental responsibility order with the court. Our expert solicitors can help with these please call us for legal advice.

Here to help

Our specialist teams can provide full service legal advice and assistance, providing practical and cost-effective solutions.

Our offices

302 Charminster Road Bournemouth Dorset BH8 9RU
01202 525333 Contact
Office 320 107 – 111 Fleet Street London EC4A 2AB
02039 784720 Contact
14a Haven RoadCanford Cliffs, Poole Dorset BH13 7LP
01202 709898 Contact
Monmouth Court Southampton Road, Ringwood Hampshire BH24 1HE
01425 484848 Contact
55 High Street Swanage Dorset BH19 2LT
01929 422233 Contact
39a East Street Wimborne Dorset BH21 1DX
01202 057676 Contact