Child Arrangement Orders

Our Children Solicitors have dealt with countless cases where contact and who a child should live with are in dispute. We are therefore well placed to advise you in respect of the approach the Court would likely take in the event of a dispute.

A Child Arrangements Order determines who the child is to live with and/or who the child will spend time with. This was commonly referred to as “child custody” or “child access”.

Child Arrangement Orders can be granted to more than one person and are not limited to parents. These orders can also be granted to grandparents, step parents or other adults caring for children.

A Child Arrangements Order (previously referred to a residence orders) provides that the child who lives with mum, dad or a grandparent. That person will automatically have parental responsibility and will be allowed to take a child abroad for up to a month. For those parents who the child does not live with, the Court can order daytime visits with the child as well as overnight stays, holidays and communication by telephone or email. A Child Arrangements Order can also provide for a child to live with both parents who have shared care.

Here to help

Our specialist teams can provide full service legal advice and assistance, providing practical and cost-effective solutions.

Our offices

302 Charminster Road Bournemouth Dorset BH8 9RU
01202 525333 Contact
Office 320 107 – 111 Fleet Street London EC4A 2AB
02039 784720 Contact
14a Haven RoadCanford Cliffs, Poole Dorset BH13 7LP
01202 709898 Contact
Monmouth Court Southampton Road, Ringwood Hampshire BH24 1HE
01425 484848 Contact
55 High Street Swanage Dorset BH19 2LT
01929 422233 Contact
39a East Street Wimborne Dorset BH21 1DX
01202 057676 Contact