Ending Civil Partnerships

The Civil Partnership Act 2004 gave same sex couples the right to enter into a civil partnership. The Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013 grants those registered in a Civil Partnership the ability to convert their partnership into a marriage.

In the event of the breakdown of a Civil Partnership, it will be necessary to deal with the formal dissolution as well as resolving financial matters. The same rules and principles in relation to resolving financial claims apply to both married and same sex couples in civil partnerships. For more information on the available financial claims please click here.

Our solicitors have gained considerable expertise in dealing with Civil Partnership Dissolution since 2004 and regularly deal with separating same sex couples.


When parents separate, they will need to consider how the separation will impact on their children, and decide how their new arrangements will work in practice. Please refer to our Children page for more information

Here to help

Our specialist teams can provide full service legal advice and assistance, providing practical and cost-effective solutions.

Our offices

302 Charminster Road Bournemouth Dorset BH8 9RU
01202 525333 Contact
Office 320 107 – 111 Fleet Street London EC4A 2AB
02039 784720 Contact
14a Haven RoadCanford Cliffs, Poole Dorset BH13 7LP
01202 709898 Contact
Monmouth Court Southampton Road, Ringwood Hampshire BH24 1HE
01425 484848 Contact
55 High Street Swanage Dorset BH19 2LT
01929 422233 Contact
39a East Street Wimborne Dorset BH21 1DX
01202 057676 Contact