Financial Support For Children

A parent’s obligation to provide financial support to a child is dependant on the legal status of each parent.

This often presents particular difficulties for gay and lesbian parents given that legal obligations differ dramatically between parents who have entered a Civil Partnership, and parents who are recognised as legal parent.

Financial support for children can be obtained in a number of ways depending on legal status. In the case of parents who have entered into a Civil Partnership or Marriage, there may be an obligation on one party to make child or spousal maintenance payments to the other parent. Where there is no Civil Partnership or Marriage, it may be possible to pursue a claim for Child Maintenance via the Child Maintenance Service or the family Court pursuant to Schedule 1 of the Children Act 1989.

Specialist advice will be required before any application is made in relation to a parent’s legal status to ensure that the correct application is made.

Here to help

Our specialist teams can provide full service legal advice and assistance, providing practical and cost-effective solutions.

Our offices

302 Charminster Road Bournemouth Dorset BH8 9RU
01202 525333 Contact
Office 320 107 – 111 Fleet Street London EC4A 2AB
02039 784720 Contact
14a Haven RoadCanford Cliffs, Poole Dorset BH13 7LP
01202 709898 Contact
Monmouth Court Southampton Road, Ringwood Hampshire BH24 1HE
01425 484848 Contact
55 High Street Swanage Dorset BH19 2LT
01929 422233 Contact
39a East Street Wimborne Dorset BH21 1DX
01202 057676 Contact