Unpaid Wages

It is unlawful for an employer to make deductions from an employee’s wages or underpay them, unless the employer has the employee’s agreement to the deduction or underpayment in writing. This agreement also needs to be signed by the employee themselves.

The only deductions that are permitted without agreement in writing are those that are required legally, for example deductions for tax and NI at source and overpayments of wages.

This will be the case even if the employee owes the employer money.

What to do if an employer makes a deduction without your agreement

If an employer makes a deduction that is not agreed by the employee, you will be able to pursue the employer in either in the employment tribunal for unlawful deductions from wages, and/or breach of contract. In the case of the latter, an employee could bring a claim in the civil courts for breach of contract.

Bonus claims can also be particularly valuable to an employee and require a very careful analysis of the provisions that have been agreed between employer and employee. Often, an employer will state that a bonus is completely discretionary and non contractual, however this may not be the case if the bonus is paid regularly and/or based on measurable factors or goals.

In the employment tribunal, the employee will have 3 months less a day from the last deduction of wages.

Specialist settlement agreement solicitors

Instead of bringing a claim in the employment tribunal or court, you could also consider trying to negotiate a settlement agreement with your employer. We have a wealth of experience in successfully negotiating settlement agreements.

Get in touch with an expert member of our Employment Law team today for more advice and guidance on what to do if you’ve been unpaid, underpaid, or have had unauthorised deductions made to your wages .

Here to help

Our specialist teams can provide full service legal advice and assistance, providing practical and cost-effective solutions.

Latest Employment News

3 minute read

Can my employer make me take holiday on certain days?

3 minute read

Are settlement agreements confidential?

4 minute read

Ellis Jones’ Mock Tribunal 2023

2 minute read

Do I need legal advice before signing a settlement agreement?

Our offices

302 Charminster Road Bournemouth Dorset BH8 9RU
01202 525333 Contact
Office 320 107 – 111 Fleet Street London EC4A 2AB
02039 784720 Contact
14a Haven RoadCanford Cliffs, Poole Dorset BH13 7LP
01202 709898 Contact
Monmouth Court Southampton Road, Ringwood Hampshire BH24 1HE
01425 484848 Contact
55 High Street Swanage Dorset BH19 2LT
01929 422233 Contact
39a East Street Wimborne Dorset BH21 1DX
01202 057676 Contact