Legacy Disputes (Contentious Probate)
Legacies are a often a key source of income for charities. Our team of expert charity solicitors understand not only the importance of protecting legacies for the work of the charity, but also the other concerns which charities may face such as publicity issues.
Our charity law specialists advise on a varied and broad range of contentious legacy disputes for charities including:
- Defending claims under Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975.
- Challenges to the validity of a Will (for example, claims relating to lack of capacity, undue influence and fraud).
- Claims relating to the interpretation and construction of Wills.
- Defending proprietary estoppel claims.
- Claims against executors/trustees.
- Statutory Wills.
- Breach of trust claims.
Our charity legacy protection team includes litigation specialists and probate administration experts and we are therefore equipped to advise on both the contentious and non-contentious elements in protecting charity legacies.
Our charity legacy protection experts are part of the following organisations:
- Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists (ACTAPS)
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Charity Law Association (CLA)
- Institute of Legacy Management (ILM)