County Court Judgments – Certificates of Cancellation and Satisfaction

What is a CCJ?

A CCJ is a type of Court Order that can be registered against you by a third party who claims that you owe them money.  This can be for debts such as parking fines or unpaid bills.  If the debt is not settled within a set time period from the date of the Court Order, the CCJ will be registered against your name on your credit record.

When a CCJ is issued by the Court, it is registered at the Registry of County Court Judgments (known as the Registry Trust) and will remain on your credit record for a period of six years.  Lenders, credit card companies and other loan companies have access to the Registry and will refer to it when considering an application for a loan or credit.  Most lenders will be reluctant to grant an application for credit or a loan if there is a CCJ entered against your name.

Once the CCJ is issued by the Court there is a time period, usually 28 days from the date of the Court Order, for the debt to be paid.

What is a Certificate of Cancellation?

If the debt to which the CCJ relates is settled within the stated time period, the Court will cancel the CCJ at the Registry.  To request the cancellation of the CCJ, a Certificate of Cancellation (also known as Form N443) must be completed and filed at the Court, together with proof that the debt has been paid within the set time period.  If the Court approve the Certificate, they will inform the Registry and the CCJ will be removed, or cancelled from your credit record.

What is a Certificate of Satisfaction?

If you have not paid the Judgment debt within the requested time period, you can still pay the debt and submit a Certificate of Satisfaction (Form N443) to the Court, along with proof that the debt was paid in full.  If the Court are satisfied that the debt has been paid, they will advise the Registry to update your credit record.  Unfortunately, the CCJ will still remain on your record for the six year period, but it will be marked “Satisfied”.  Lenders and credit companies will be more likely to consider allowing credit or loans if the CCJ is marked as “Satisfied” as opposed to “Unsatisfied” (unpaid).

There is a small fee attached to filing the Certificate of Cancellation or Certificate of Satisfaction at the Court of £14.

At Ellis Jones we are happy to assist clients in completing these if required; however it is also something you can do yourself, should you so wish, in order to limit costs.

How do I remove the satisfied CCJ from my credit record?

At Ellis Jones, we have an experienced team of Solicitors and Paralegals who specialise in the removal of County Court Judgments (CCJs). We have a dedicated page on our website, which sets out in a bit more detail what a CCJ is, how to remove one, as well as the effect they can have on your credit profile.

To find out more about seeking to set aside your CCJ, visit our dedicated CCJ page on our website.  Alternatively, you can telephone 01202 525333 or email for more information.

How can we help?

When you submit this form an email will be sent to the relevant department who will contact you within 48 hours. If you require urgent advice please call 01202 525333.

Make an enquiry

Related news

3 minute read

Beneficiaries: Rights Over an Estate

Read more
4 minute read

Inheritance disputes on the rise

Read more
4 minute read

My tenant isn’t paying rent – what can I do?

Read more
4 minute read

I’ll see you in court…or will I? – The Court’s power to order compulsory ADR

Read more