CCJ Removal

Our experienced team of CCJ solicitors has developed a deep and widespread understanding of dealing with all aspects of County Court Judgments (CCJ). We are often approached by parties who have unknowingly had a CCJ placed against their credit profile and are seeking advice and guidance on what to do next.

Get in touch with the team.

Removing a County Court Judgement

A County Court Judgement is a court order which states that money is owed by yourself to a third party, these are often things like overlooked and unpaid bills or not responding to claim forms within the given time period.

If these are unpaid after the set time period, a CCJ will be entered onto your credit record, where orders and fines will remain for six years, these payments then become known as ‘unsatisfied payments’.

There are a few different ways to remove a CCJ, the simplest being by paying the amount specified within the given time period (usually 1 month), by consent order, or by an application to the court (Form N244). Here are a few of the ways our team of specialist CCJ solicitors can help;

Our CCJ solicitors can:

  • Advise you on your legal position in relation to the CCJ
  • Assist with resolving the debt with the creditor
  • Seek to reach an agreement with the creditor over the removal of the CCJ and make the necessary application to Court by consent
  • Prepare the necessary application to set aside the CCJ if the Creditor will not consent to the removal of the CCJ
  • Represent you at the hearing of the application to set the CCJ aside.

Get in touch with a CCJ Removal solicitor

Our specialist Dispute Resolution team have years of experience in handling a wide variety of cases in relation to CCJ Removal and have represented a number of clients successfully.

Get in touch with a member of the team to speak to an expert solicitor who will be able to assist and guide you throughout the process of removing a CCJ.


What is a county court judgement (CCJ)?

A CCJ, or County Court Judgment, is a type of Court Order that can be registered against you by a third party who claims that you owe them money when you fail to respond to a Claim Form issued in the Courts by a specified period.  This can be for debts such as parking fines or unpaid bills.  If the debt is not settled within a set time period, usually 28 days from the date of the CCJ, it will be registered against your name on your credit record.

How do I remove a CCJ?

There are different ways you can remove a CCJ from your credit record, the first being to pay the debt within 28 days of the date of the CCJ being entered.

If that period has lapsed, you are required to obtain a Court Order to remove the CCJ. There are two methods to obtain a Court Order for the set aside:-

  1. By Consent Order (i.e. with the consent of the creditor); or
  2. By application to the Court using Form N244.

Dealing with the set aside by Consent Order is usually cheaper and quicker and should be considered before an application to the Court using the Form N244 is submitted.

The entry of the County Court Judgment on your credit record will be removed after 6 years from the date of the Judgment.

To find out more about seeking to set aside your CCJ, please click here to be taken to the CCJ page on our website.  Alternatively, you can telephone 01202 525333 or email for more information.

How do I recover money I am owed?

The method by which you can seek to recover money owed to you will largely depend on the circumstances of the matter. Your options to recover owed money will usually include:-

Issuing a Court claim. You are expected to engage in the Pre-Action Protocol before the issue of a claim and could be penalised on costs if you fail to do so.

Engaging in mediation and/or negotiation.

Serving a Statutory Demand. If payment is not made, you can then apply to the Court to make an individual bankrupt (for debts of £5,000 or more) or wind up a company (for debts over £750).

How long does a CCJ stay on record?

If the Judgment sum is paid within the period specified in the CCJ (which is usually within one month of the date of the Judgment in the case of Default Judgments) the creditor should inform the Court of the payment and the entry on your credit record should be removed.

After that period, the CCJ will be entered on your credit record at the Register of Judgments, Orders and Fines and will remain for six years.

What is meant by unsatisfied CCJ?

An unsatisfied Judgment is one that has not been paid.

If the Judgment has been marked as satisfied, it confirms that you have paid the sum due (i.e. no monies are owing).

If you have paid the Judgment sum and the entry has not been marked as satisfied, you can make an application to the Court on Form N443 for a Certificate of Satisfaction. Evidence of payment should be provided within the application and a Court fee of £15 is payable.

How much does a CCJ affect your credit rating?

The entry of a County Court Judgment (whether satisfied or unsatisfied) is likely to have an adverse impact on your credit rating.

It may affect your ability to secure funding (e.g. by way of mortgage, loan or credit card) or your ability to take out a financing agreement (e.g. phone or car contract).

In some circumstances (e.g. the financial sector) the entry of a County Court Judgment can affect your employment opportunities/current employment.

Payment of the County Court Judgment so that the entry is marked as satisfied will usually alleviate the impact on your credit record, but it is likely to still have a negative affect.

How do you pay a CCJ?

You have 28 days from the date of the Judgment to pay the debt to prevent a CCJ being registered on your credit record.  You can pay the claimant at the “address for payment” which is detailed on the Default Judgment.  You should always keep a record of your payment for future reference.

What happens if you ignore a CCJ?

If you receive a Claim Form or a CCJ from the Court you should not ignore it.  These Court documents mean that the Claimant is pursuing you through the Court for the debt they claim you owe.  If you ignore these forms, the CCJ shall become registered against your credit profile and subsequently cause you problems if you wish to request credit, or a mortgage or rental property.

Once the CCJ is entered, the Claimant is entitled to enforce the CCJ. This may lead to a County Court Bailiff or High Court Enforcement Agent being instructed, or other enforcement applications being issued such as an Attachment of Earnings Order, a Charging Order, or an Order to attend court for questioning being issued against you.  This will escalate legal costs, which ultimately the Claimant shall look to recover from you.

Here to help

Our specialist teams can provide full service legal advice and assistance, providing practical and cost-effective solutions.

Our offices

302 Charminster Road
01202 525333 Contact
Office 320 107 – 111 Fleet Street
02039 784720 Contact
14a Haven Road
Canford Cliffs
BH13 7LP
01202 709898 Contact
Monmouth Court
Southampton Road
BH24 1HE
01425 484848 Contact
55 High Street
BH19 2LT
01929 422233 Contact
39a East Street
BH21 1DX
01202 057676 Contact