Partner, Solicitor and Head of Wills, Trusts & Probate
Wills, Trusts & Probate
I always listen to my client’s query or concerns and then guide them through the options to find the best solution for them. In doing so, I often add value by identifying important matters that had not been originally considered.
I have been told that I explain things in a straightforward manner, avoiding legal jargon, which makes often complex areas of law easier for clients to understand.
I adopt a friendly, relaxed approach recognising that the areas for discussion are often difficult for my clients, at sensitive times of their lives.
I also work closely with my clients’ other trusted advisors to provide holistic solutions.
I have more than 22 years experience in Wills Trusts and Probate work, having worked with Natwest Trust Company and as a Probate Executive for another local firm before qualifying as a Solicitor in 2002. After spending time in Partnership with a large Hampshire based practice, I joined Ellis Jones as a Partner in the summer of 2018.
Areas of Expertise
- Advising HNW and UHNW clients in the UK and internationally in respect of their UK tax position and general estate planning
- Advising business owners in regard to succession planning
- Drafting complex Wills
- Trust advice, including establishment, initial structuring, re-structuring and winding up
- Taxation of Trusts
- Estate administration advice including Deeds of Variation for tax & estate planning
- Powers of Attorney
- Declarations of Trust over property
- Loan Agreements
Recent Work Includes
- Providing Will drafting and Inheritance tax advice to numerous clients worth £20m+
- Identifying & rectifying problems with clients’ existing Wills which could have resulted in confusion over interpretation and possible Inheritance Act claims
- Providing estate and Inheritance Tax advice to life tenant of a trust potentially saving £130,000+ of Inheritance Tax
- Advising clients on best structure for their Wills to maximize the availability of the new Residence Nil Rate Band and Business Property Relief for Inheritance Tax
- Helping to organize a substantial portfolio of some 15 lifetime and Will trusts for a family and advising the trustees on the best way to manage them according to each family member’s needs
- Restructuring a substantial trust to pass assets down the generations in the most tax efficient way
- Identifying issues with main residence Property Trust schemes and advising on alternative options
- Advising clients on use of lifetime trusts for estate planning whilst retaining control
- Advice on restructuring a business to ensure availability of Business Property Relief for Inheritance Tax
Experience, Professional Associations and Qualifications
- Qualified as a solicitor in December 2002
- Became Partner of the firm in 2018
- Ranked in Band 2 in the Chambers & Partners High Net Worth Guide (Southampton and Surrounds 2021) for private wealth law, recognised “a master of her craft as a private client lawyer. She is very good with the clients, she gets what they want and what they need and understands them.”
- Ranked in Band 3 in the Chambers & Partners High Net Worth guide (Southampton and Surrounds 2020) for private wealth law, recognised for being an “experienced lawyer who adapts her style well to the client and is both informative and efficient’.
- Recommended Lawyer by The Legal 500 (UK 2022) for Wills, Trusts & Probate – recognised for specialising in advising a growing client base of high-net-worth individuals on estate and tax planning.
- Noted as ‘knowledgeable, helpful and understanding of clients needs’ and her advice being ‘Prompt, imaginative and presented in an understandable manner.’ in The Legal 500 2020
- Full member of Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Former Chair and current Secretary of the Bournemouth STEP Committee
- Post Grad Dip Legal Practice (Distinction)
- Post Grad Dip Law (Commendation)
- BA (Hons) Combined Studies Degree in History & Social Sciences (2:1)