“Extensive experience in advising high and ultra-high-net-worth individuals on estate and tax planning”.
Carla Brown – Legal 500 2024Read Google Reviews
“Carla Brown is technically great and is a very strong leader.”
For Carla Brown – Legal 500 2023Read Google Reviews
“Carla is knowledgeable, and an expert in all private client matters.”
Private Client – Chambers & Partners High Net Worth Guide 2022Read Google Reviews
“Carla is able to act with impartiality and is not afraid to say what needs saying, even in tricky family situations.”
For Carla Brown – Legal 500 2023Read Google Reviews
“She is a master of her craft as a private client lawyer. ”
Private Client – Chambers & Partners High Net Worth Guide 2021Read Google Reviews
I always listen to my client’s query or concerns and then guide them through the options to find the best solution for them. In doing so, I often add value by identifying important matters that had not been originally considered.
I have been told that I explain things in a straightforward manner, avoiding legal jargon, which makes often complex areas of law easier for clients to understand.
I adopt a friendly, relaxed approach recognising that the areas for discussion are often difficult for my clients, at sensitive times of their lives.
I also work closely with my clients’ other trusted advisors to provide holistic solutions.
I have more than 25 years experience in Wills Trusts and Probate work, having worked with Natwest Trust Company and as a Probate Executive for another local firm before qualifying as a Solicitor in 2002. After spending time in Partnership with a large Hampshire based practice, I joined Ellis Jones as a Partner in the summer of 2018.
Area of Expertise
- Advising HNW and UHNW clients in the UK and internationally in respect of their UK tax position and general estate planning
- Advising business owners in regard to succession planning
- Drafting complex Wills
- Trust advice, including establishment, initial structuring, re-structuring and winding up
- Taxation of Trusts
- HNW and UHNW Estate administration including advice on Deeds of Variation for tax & estate planning
- Powers of Attorney
- Declarations of Trust over property
- Loan Agreements
- Providing Will drafting, Inheritance tax and estate planning advice to numerous clients worth £20m+
- Advising on best use of corporate structures for estate and tax planning
- Identifying & rectifying problems with clients’ existing Wills which could have resulted in confusion over interpretation and possible Inheritance Act claims
- Providing estate and Inheritance Tax advice to life tenant of a trust potentially saving £130,000+ of Inheritance Tax
- Advising clients on best structure for their Wills to maximize the availability of the new Residence Nil Rate Band and Business Property Relief for Inheritance Tax
- Helping to organize a substantial portfolio of some 15 lifetime and Will trusts for a family and advising the trustees on the best way to manage them according to each family member’s needs
- Restructuring a substantial trust to pass assets down the generations in the most tax efficient way
- Identifying issues with main residence Property Trust schemes and advising on alternative options
- Advising clients on use of lifetime trusts for estate planning whilst retaining control of the assets
- Advice on restructuring a business to ensure availability of Business Property Relief for Inheritance Tax
Professional Associations & Qualifications
- Qualified as a Solicitor in December 2002
- Became Partner of this firm in 2018
- Recommended Lawyer in The Legal 500 UK 2024 for Wills, Trusts & Probate - "exceptional in her knowledge and client care. She is not afraid to tackle complex technical and family matters. I would never hesitate to recommend Carla to my clients."
- Ranked in Band 1 in the Chambers & Partners High Net Worth Guide 2023 for Private Wealth Law - "Carla Brown has delivered a highly efficient and effective service to us." "Carla Brown has provided exceptionally good support and advice to my legal matters. Very dedicated."
- Recommended Lawyer in The Legal 500 UK 2023 for Wills, Trusts & Probate - "technically great and is a very strong leader."
- Ranked in Band 1 in the Chambers & Partners High Net Worth Guide 2022 for Private Wealth Law - described as "knowledgeable, and an expert in all private client matters. Carla can advise on all areas and is particularly good when acting for large estates, trusts and high net worth individuals. Carla is someone you would want on your side, and you know that she will give great, personal service."
- Ranked in Band 2 in the Chambers & Partners High Net Worth Guide (Southampton and Surrounds 2021) for private wealth law, recognised “a master of her craft as a private client lawyer. She is very good with the clients, she gets what they want and what they need and understands them.”
- Ranked in Band 3 in the Chambers & Partners High Net Worth guide (Southampton and Surrounds 2020) for private wealth law, recognised for being an “experienced lawyer who adapts her style well to the client and is both informative and efficient".
- Recommended Lawyer by The Legal 500 (UK 2022) for Wills, Trusts & Probate – recognised for specialising in advising a growing client base of high-net-worth individuals on estate and tax planning.
- Noted as "knowledgeable, helpful and understanding of clients needs" and her advice being "Prompt, imaginative and presented in an understandable manner" in The Legal 500 2020
- Full member of Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Former Chair of the Bournemouth STEP Committee
- Post Grad Dip Legal Practice (Distinction)
- Post Grad Dip Law (Commendation)
- BA (Hons) Combined Studies Degree in History & Social Sciences (2:1)
Read the latest news from our experts.