Tresanay Torto-Doku
Make an enquiry
Date Published:03 Feb 2020 Last Updated:18 Jan 2022

Refund of Court of Protection (other Court) Fees

Wills, Trusts & Probate

What is the refund for?

HM Courts and Tribunals Service (HMCTS) have now opened applications to repay court fees for some court services between 22 April 2014 and 31 March 2018. This is a result of a review in 2018 where it was found that certain fees had been over-charged or mischarged.

The fees that were affected include certain Court of Protection fees, some fees for the magistrates’ courts, insolvency proceedings and civil proceedings.

Who can claim?

In order to claim a refund, you must have either paid the fee directly to the court or someone put in a claim against you and you were ordered to pay their fees.

How to claim

To apply for a refund, you must use the ‘Application for full or partial refund of court fees’ form. You cannot claim without filling in the form, however, the whole form may not be required to be filled in. You can apply by email or post and will need proof of your name, address and your right to apply (if you are not the client). The Ministry of Justice have confirmed that interest on any refunds will be at 0.5%.

For more information visit the guidance page.

If you require any further assistance with the Court of Protection, including making applications, please contact our specialist Wills, Trusts and Probate team at 01202 525333 or visit their page.