Lauren Harley

Associate Solicitor

DATE PUBLISHED: 19 Oct 2017 LAST UPDATED: 01 Nov 2022

Is my same sex marriage or civil partnership recognised abroad?

Gay and Lesbian marriage abroad

Parties to a same sex marriage entered into outside England and Wales are treated as being married in England and Wales, regardless of whether the particular country provided for same sex marriage at the time the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013 came into force.

For non-religious ceremonies, you may have to give 28 days’ notice at your local registration office.

It is important to check if the overseas authority in the country you intend to marry requires a ‘certificate of no impediment’.

If you married overseas, you can petition for divorce, provided all the usual legal requirements are met.

Gay and Lesbian marriage in England

Whether a same sex marriage in England will be recognised and treated as a marriage in a different country depends on whether gay marriage is legal in the laws of the other country.

Your same sex marriage may be treated as a civil partnership or a same sex registered partnership in another country with similar rights, if same sex marriage has not been legalised. Same-sex marriage is currently only recognised in 14 EU

Your rights on divorce will also change dependent on the country in which you intend to divorce. For advice on your position on divorce in England and Wales contact our family lawyers.

If you require any advice on LGBT family issues, such as validity of marriage abroad, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our Same-Sex Legal Advice service lawyers. Call 01202 525333 or send an email enquiry.

How can we help?

When you submit this form an email will be sent to the relevant department who will contact you within 48 hours. If you require urgent advice please call 01202 525333.

Make an enquiry

Related news

4 minute read

Government’s changes to Family Law Policy 2024

Read more
4 minute read

Domestic Abuse Protection Orders come into force on 8 April 2024

Read more
3 minute read

Family Court Fees Increase from 1 April 2024

Read more
4 minute read

What are the defences to a child abduction application: 1980 Hague Convention?

Read more