Employment Law Advice
I endeavour to provide clear and practical advice to clients, whilst also being friendly and approachable. I ensure I take the time to understand my clients and their needs in order to take steps to achieve the best possible outcome.
Areas of Expertise
- Preparing and submitting tribunal claims;
- Defending tribunal claims;
- Advising on discrimination at work claims;
- Negotiating settlements on potential or ongoing tribunal claims;
- Providing initial case assessments on the prospects and value of potential or ongoing claims;
- Advising on TUPE disputes, including changes to terms of employment after a TUPE transfer;
- Reviewing and making recommendations on employment documents;
- Updating employment contracts, casual worker (zero hours) contracts and policies;
- Preparing directors’ service agreements and consultancy agreements;
- Point of contact for business clients and day-to-day HR queries;
- Advising on employment status disputes; and
- Assisting Kate Brooks, our employment partner, on complex matters.
Recent Work Includes
- Representing and facilitating a settlement for joint Claimant’s in a joined unfair dismissal tribunal claim on the grounds of redundancy from the same employer;
- Advising on unfair constructive dismissal claims (resignation);
- Advising an employee on a potential tribunal claim on the grounds of unlawful disability discrimination and reaching a settlement pre-claim;
- Representing a Claimant in an employment status claim;
- Carrying out reviews of employment documentation for businesses, including employment contracts, casual worker contracts (zero hours), policies and staff handbooks to ensure they are up-to-date and legally compliant;
- Updating employment documents and making recommendations for clauses appropriate to the businesses i.e. restrictive covenants, intellectual property and protecting confidential information;
- Preparing staff handbooks including policies relevant to the businesses i.e. social media and vehicle policies;
- Representing a Claimant in an unfair constructive dismissal / TUPE tribunal claim;
- Preparing defences for businesses to tribunal claims; and
- Advising on enforceability and termination of employment contracts.
My Route to Ellis Jones
I joined Ellis Jones in February 2013 as a secretary to Kate Brooks. Previously, I worked as a legal assistant to a family law specialist.
In 2015 I commenced my studies to complete by CILEx qualification, fully supported by Ellis Jones.
I am an Associate Member of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (ACILEx) and I am currently completing my final exams to obtain my qualification of CILEx Level 6 Professional Diploma in Law and Practice.
I will complete my CILEx qualification during 2021 and aim to qualify as a Chartered Legal Executive Lawyer, specialising in Employment Law, in 2022.
Professional Associations and Qualifications
- Associate Member of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (ACILEx).
- CILEx Level 3 Professional Diploma in Law and Practice – Employment Law.
- CILEx Level 6 Certificate in Law – Employment Law and The Practice of Employment Law.
I would like to thank Kate and Hannah for their great assistance, insight and communication during these last few months and for helping to bring this all to a satisfactory conclusion, in timely manner. A great job and I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending them to others in the future.Anonymous