01202 525333
Make An Enquiry

Financial Support For Children

A parent’s obligation to provide financial support to a child is dependant on the legal status of each parent.

This often presents particular difficulties for gay and lesbian parents given that legal obligations differ dramatically between parents who have entered a Civil Partnership, and parents who are recognised as legal parent.

Financial support for children can be obtained in a number of ways depending on legal status. In the case of parents who have entered into a Civil Partnership or Marriage, there may be an obligation on one party to make child or spousal maintenance payments to the other parent. Where there is no Civil Partnership or Marriage, it may be possible to pursue a claim for Child Maintenance via the Child Maintenance Service or the family Court pursuant to Schedule 1 of the Children Act 1989.

Specialist advice will be required before any application is made in relation to a parent’s legal status to ensure that the correct application is made.

Need Advice?
Our Calculators

We have a number of calculators designed to help you get the information you need.
For more details, choose one of the links below.