I seek to provide clear and constructive legal advice to achieve the best possible outcome in every case. I appreciate that the resolution of disputes must be considered with regard to both the legal merits and commerciality of each matter. With this approach, I enable decisions to be made on an informed basis and seek to resolve matters, where possible, without the need to involve the Court.
Areas of Expertise
I deal with all types of commercial litigation, with a particular expertise in:-
- Contractual disputes;
- Professional negligence claims;
- Landlord and tenant disputes;
- Debt recovery;
- Contentious trusts and probate matters (including Will disputes);
- Inheritance (Provisions for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 claims;
- Judicial Review/Statutory Challenge regards planning decisions;
- Restrictive covenant disputes;
- Prevention of Enforcement Proceedings (bailiff action); and
- Removal/ Set Aside of County Court Judgments.
Recent Work Includes
- Advising upon the removal/ set aside of default County Court Judgments. Successful in achieving set aside by consent for a significant number of clients.
- Defending a claim for damages in relation to the quality of building works. Settlement reached without the issue of proceedings.
- Successful in a matter involving the statutory rejection of defective goods, which resulted in a full refund for the value of the goods.
- Advising upon the modification/discharge of a restriction (restrictive covenant) affecting the development of property.
- Assisting in successfully defending a Judicial Review claim in respect of planning permission.
- Assisting in bringing a successful Judicial Review claim in respect of planning permission, the result being that the planning decision was overturned.
- Acting in an assistant solicitor capacity in respect of Inheritance (Provisions for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 claims.
- Successfully obtaining the suspension (removal) of a Writ of Enforcement (bailiff action) and a contribution towards my client’s legal costs.
Experience, Professional Associations and Qualifications
- Qualified as a solicitor in March 2017
- First Class LL.B (HONS) Law Degree
- Distinction in the Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice
- Member of Bournemouth and District Junior Lawyers Division
- Recommended Department by The Legal 500 (UK 2016) for Commercial Litigation.
- Recommended Department by The Legal 500 (UK 2016) for Contentious Trusts and Probate –being described as ‘Streets ahead’.
- Winner of the Dorset Legal Awards 2019 ‘Rising Star of the Year’.
Fantastic personal service with a wealth of experience and advice. Clair Phillips recently helped us get our CCJ set aside successfully. Her knowledge and advice was very helpful from the very first call. Once instructed, Clair got on the case very promptly and within the first week we had a response from the claimant. Overall the case was resolved very swiftly and it was a huge weight off our minds.
We truly cannot thank Clair enough for her expertise and would not hesitate to recommend her to anyone in a similar situationMs V Lane
Working with Clair Phillips at Ellis Jones was an absolute pleasure – she was very helpful and knowledgeable, quick to reply and enjoyable to work with. I’d definitely recommend them!Mr M Mumford