Hannah Johnson


DATE PUBLISHED: 14 Apr 2021 LAST UPDATED: 01 Jul 2022

How much compensation can I get for a discrimination claim?

If you succeed in a discrimination claim in the Employment Tribunal, the Tribunal will then consider whether to make an award for compensation and, if so, the amount to award.

In discrimination claims, compensation will include an award for injury to feelings, which reflects non-financial loss.

How does the Employment Tribunal calculate compensation?

In short, the tribunal will consider the seriousness of the discriminatory conduct and the effect that it has had on the Claimant. When deciding how much compensation to award for injury to feelings, the Tribunal will refer to ‘Vento’ bands as guidelines.

Other aspects of an award may include loss of earnings, pension and other benefits.

What are Vento bands?

Vento bands provide for three levels of compensation, categorised depending on the facts of each claim:

  • Lower band: less serious cases i.e. isolated/one off offences.
  • Middle band: serious cases that do not merit an award in the upper band.
  • Upper: most serious cases i.e. lengthy campaign of discrimination.

How much compensation can you receive for discrimination claims?

Presidential Guidance is released annually every April, setting out any increase to Vento bands. The following increases take effect for claims issued after 6 April 2021:

Vento band Claims between 6 April 2020  and 5 April 2021 Claims after 6 April 2021
Lower band £900 – £9,000 £900 – £9,100
Middle band £9,000 – £27,000 £9,100 – £27,400
Upper band £27,000 to £45,000 £27,400 – £45,600

Please note that tribunals are not bound by the guidelines, and only in the most exceptional cases will a Tribunal make an award in excess of the upper limit.

Any queries?

If you have any queries in relation to the above or regarding discrimination at work claims, please do not hesitate to contact one of our experienced Employment Lawyers on 01202 525333 for further advice.

How can we help?

When you submit this form an email will be sent to the relevant department who will contact you within 48 hours. If you require urgent advice please call 01202 525333.

Make an enquiry

Related news

3 minute read

If I make a personal injury claim against my employer, will I lose my job?

Read more
4 minute read

Supreme Court due to provide clarity on holiday pay calculation for workers with irregular hours

Read more
3 minute read

Temporary right to work checks extended until 30 September 2022

Read more
4 minute read

Employment law changes: April 2022

Read more