Do I need to take out Cycling Accident Insurance?
A recent case hit the headlines when a cyclist, Mr Hazeldean, was found 50% liable for an accident after he collided with a woman who was crossing the road whilst looking at her mobile phone. It was not just the accident circumstances that caused a stir amongst cyclists but Mr Hazeldean’s personal exposure to the legal fees in the case. As a cyclist, he did not have any insurance protection to cover the damages and fees. The total of costs in the case have been claimed at around £100,000 which has been reported will make him bankrupt (although it is likely this amount will be reduced at the hearing for costs). A crowdfunding page has been set up by a friend of his to help raise money for the fees and has raised over £50,000, exceeding the original target by over 100%!
This high profile case has made many cyclists to consider their own insurance position. The million dollar question is do you need insurance to cover third party injuries? Many cyclists will also be covered under a home contents insurance policy that will have personal legal liability cover on it. This would cover the cyclist for any claim made against them.
British Cycling provides insurance cover which includes free legal advice through their panel solicitors. At Ellis Jones we have dealt with many cyclists who went through British Cycling’s solicitors for their claim and they have after a period of time approached us to take over conduct of their claim as they are unhappy with the level of care provided to them as clients, often at a time when they are most vulnerable. We have taken over conduct of many claims and it costs nothing to do this. One example was a cyclist that was injured when a Council sweeper vehicle pulled out in front of him, but he was unable to stop and collided with the rear of the vehicle at speed. He was lucky to escape with soft tissue injuries. British Cycling’s solicitors discontinued the claim as the Council’s insurers defended it on the basis that their vehicle was established in the road and the cyclist just cycled into the back of it. We took over the claim and fought it through to trial and it settled at the Court just before the trial started.
Why should I use Ellis Jones Solicitors and not my insurers’ solicitors or those appointed through my British Cycling Membership to deal with my cycling accident claim?
- We will deal with your claim with no cost to you.
- We will make sure you get the rehabilitation you require before we look at settling your claim.
- We will meet with you in person, talk you through the claims process and answer any queries you might have along the way.
- We will make sure that you get the full amount of compensation that you are entitled to.
- A solicitor appointed by your insurers will rush your claim through so that they get paid. This may result in under settling your claim. We will deal with your claim so that you receive the maximum level compensation possible.
- We will arrange for your damaged bicycle to be repaired or replaced as quickly as possible. We have links with one of the country’s leading bike shops.
- Through rehabilitation, we will get you back on your bike as quickly as possible.
If you have been involved in a cycling accident or you are looking for an experienced solicitor to take over your cycling claim you can call our cycle accident specialist, David McWilliam on 01202 057710 or email him at email@example.com for free specialist advice.