Working it out - can I claim for an accident in the gym?Personal Injury Claims
The fitness industry is booming. As the popularity of gyms has increased in recent years more people are at risk of having an accident in the gym causing injury. Many modern gyms are equipped with heavy-duty exercise machines featuring large, weighty components. If these machines are not maintained properly or handled incorrectly, it can result in serious injuries to the person using them. For this reason, it is important that gyms have adequate levels of supervision in place to ensure that all equipment is well-maintained and that gym users use the equipment correctly.
Common causes of accidents in the gym
- Inadequate gym induction
- Inadequate or improper induction by trainer on movements or machinery
- Faulty or defective gym equipment
- Lack of maintenance or repair on gym equipment
- Hit by an object or sports equipment that has come loose
- Trip or slip on wet or uneven flooring or matting
What should I do if I have an accident?
- Report the accident, make sure you notify the gym of the accident and record it in their accident book. Make sure any faulty equipment or machinery is reported to prevent any further accidents.
- If the accident is a result of a defect, try to take some photographs of the defect and the accident site.
- Seek medical assistance. This is essential to assisting you in recovering from the accident and assessing the extent of your injuries.
What can I claim for?
- Pain caused by the injury
- Medical expenses and rehabilitation treatment
- Travel expenses for medical treatment
- The effect the injury has had on your life, missed trips, events and holidays
- Loss of earnings for time taken off work or if you are unable to go back to your job
- Care received from a relative or friend
I signed a waiver, does this prevent me from making a claim?
It is common for a waiver to be included in your membership form/contract. You may or may not even realise that you have signed one. A gym cannot simply exempt themselves from all liability in relation to a claim for personal injury, so don’t let this put you off making a claim/complaint.
If you have had an accident at the gym and would like to discuss making a claim please contact our expert personal injury lawyers here or call 01202 525333 to arrange a free consultation.Print Back to Blog